Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Clarification

My most recent blog post elicited a much due critique from Emily and so I shall endeavor to explain what exactly I meant.

I did not mean to say that work by authors of differing demographics would necessarily be of a lesser quality. Diversity of perspective is important, I admit that, but the race of the author should not be the deciding criterion for what makes it into the curriculum. If a different perspective is what is being sought, fine, search for that. Choose a book because it offers a different perspective, but not because it happens to be written by a member of a specific race or gender or heritage. I do not think that a member of a different demographic will necessarily have a different perspective, so we should stop judging the level of multiculturalism merely by how many authors there are of different races, genders, backgrounds...etc...

All I was trying to say is that I am uncomfortable when we put too much stock in something like race or gender. Yes, there are differences, but focusing on those differences is, I think, a dangerous road to travel, caked with a very thin layer of ice.

Question: Is focusing on race and gender dangerous in any way or are my worries over thought artifacts of a divided society?

No comments:

Post a Comment